These recipes are fast and easy to make (many can be prepped the night before), and kids love them!
RAW APPLE CRISP
2 T. almond meal
1 T. Butter or coconut oil
Raw nuts or seeds of your choice (walnuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pecans, etc.)
1. Cut apple into small chunks. Put into small saucepan on low heat. Melt butter or coconut oil in saucepan, and stir it to coat apple with butter or oil.
2. Once the oil or butter is melted and apple is warmed slightly (only a few minutes), remove pan from stove.
3. Sprinkle almond meal, cinnamon, and nuts on top. Enjoy!
** You don’t have to warm up the apple… or use oil/butter. You can simply add the almond meal and nuts to the raw apple.
CASHEW CREAM AND GRANOLA BERRY PARFAIT
1 1/3 c. raw cashews
1/2 c. water
1 T. raw agave nectar or honey
1 t. vanilla
sprinkling of cinnamon
berries of your choosing
2. Pour this cashew cream into a bowl, and top with granola and berries.
DELICIOUS GREEN SMOOTHIE
1 c. frozen pineapple
a few handfuls of fresh kale or spinach
few chunks of pear
1 c. water (or more, to make it as thick or thin as you want)
Put all ingredients in the blender - blend until smooth. Enjoy (kids like to drink this with a straw!).
Rolled oats (1/2 cup – 1 cup, depending on how much energy you need)
Nut milk or rice milk (or water!)
Flaxseed or chia seeds
Raisins, dates, or other dried fruit
Sunflower seeds (or your favorite nuts – walnuts, almonds, pecans, etc.)
Maple syrup (optional)
1. Put oats, cinnamon, flax or chia seeds, and syrup in a bowl or Tupperware container. Cover with rice or nut milk and leave a 1” layer of extra liquid on top.
2. Let the mixture soak overnight in the fridge. In the morning you can add the dried fruit and nuts. You’ll have a delicious breakfast cereal to take with you in the morning... without cooking!
** You can eat this muesli hot or cold. My kids like it warmed on the stove a bit in the morning. If you’d like a sweet afternoon snack, you can simply make a bigger portion at night and save some of it for later in the day.
** To make this work if you’re on the road, just take a Tupperware container filled with the oats, seeds, and dates with you (or put them in a plastic bag). Bring along one of the mini-travel sized Rice Dream containers. You can mix it together in a hotel room, leave it overnight in the ice bucket filled with ice, and it will be ready to go in the morning!
~ Adapted from The Energy Balance Diet by Joshua Rosenthal