I add new websites and book recommendations every month. Bookmark this page and put a reminder in your calendar to check back for new resources next month.
If You Want Transformational, Eye-Opening Info...
- IIN - Institute for Integrative Nutrition - the only nutrition school like it in the world
- Newstarget - ground-breaking health news that you won't find in mainstream media
- Mercola - #1-visited health site with detailed info on all health concerns and questions
- Renegade Health - honest look at health issues
- Comfort Queen - Jennifer Louden's delicious website for women who want to find comfort in everyday life
- Heart of Business - Mark Silver's amazing site that merges the heart and spirituality with business
- CherylMillerVille - awesome resources for healthy, happy living
- NotMilk.com - a new way to look at the "healthy?" side of milk
If You Want to Educate Yourself About Nutrition...
- Center for Science in the Public Interest - advocates for nutrition, health and food safety
- If It's Not Food, Don't Eat It - the low-down on healthy eating
- Sugar Shock - a website that will help you beat your sugar addiction
- 21-day No Junk Food Challenge - you gotta try it to believe it!
- Produce Oasis - info on selecting, preparing, and using fresh produce
- Food News - download a wallet guide identifying pesticide levels in produce
- seafood.audobon - info on the safety of different seafood
If You Want to Shop For or Cook Something Delicious...
- Whole Foods - cooking tips and recipes
- WHF - The World's Healthiest Foods
- cookingfth - home-delivered healthy meals
- U.S. farmers' markets - listing of farmers' markets around the country
- Veg Dining - guide to vegetarian restaurants around the world
- Vitacost - discounted supplements and beauty products
- Elana's Pantry - great gluten-free recipes
If You're Looking For a Healthy Gift Idea...
- Young Living Essential Oils - the healing power of oils!
- My Spicer - description and sales of all herbs and spices
- John & Kira's Chocolates - chocolate doesn't get much better than this!
- Tea Forte - amazingly unique and gorgeous teas that make great gifts (especially for yourself!)
- Adagio Tea - beautifully packaged, delicious teas
- Teeccino - all about herbal coffee
- Gaiam - wellness products for health-conscious people
- Bach Flower Essences - home of healing flower essences like the famous Rescue Remedy combination
If You're a New Mom or Mom-To Be...
- Mothering.com - the place for healthy moms to hang out online (check out the forums for great mom-to-mom info)
- An Empowered Birth - childbirth classes and doula services
- Kelly Mom - breastfeeding and parenting info
- La Leche League - the ultimate breastfeeding organization
- ICAN - Support group for women who have had C-sections, or who want to avoid C-sections for future births
- Holistic Moms Network - find a chapter near you
- Conscious Woman - great webinars about birth, parenting, women's health - everything conscious women care about!
- Two Angry Moms - a documentary/movement: what happens when two fed-up moms try to change the school lunch program?
- North Shore Postpartum Depression Task Force - a great resource for families in the North Shore Boston area
- Natural Family Online - loads of great info
- Holistic Pediatric Organization - holistic-minded doctors
- Healthy School Lunch Ideas - no more lunch panic attacks!
- ICPA - International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
- Emotional Recovery From a Cesarean - very helpful information for women who'd like some emotional support after birth
- You Should Be Grateful - a powerful article for women who are having trouble resolving feelings about their birth
- Pushed Birth - all about the sobering realities of maternity care and birth in our country
- TABS - Trauma and birth stress - PTSD after birth
- Postpartum Progress - a blog all about PPD
- Birth Trauma Myths - birth myths that we mistakenly buy into
- My Summary of Books on PPD/PTSD - this is a list of books that I read while healing from PPD/PTSD... and quick summaries of each of them
If You Live in the Boston Area...
- My Zumba classes - come dance with me!
- Urban Oasis - hot tub and massage center in Boston
- Life Alive - urban oasis and amazing organic cafe in Lowell
- Life Force Juice - juices & smoothies delivered to your door!
- Boston Organics - organic produce delivered to your home
- Five Points Yoga - fabulous yoga instructor (including prenatal)
- Wilson Farm - fresh produce in Lexington, MA
- Russo's - amazing farm and gourmet market in Watertown
- Circles of Wisdom - get essential oils and healing supplies in this Andover store
- Healthy Homes - green, non-toxic cleaning service
- Baron Baptiste Yoga - the ultimate hot yoga
- Union Studio Yoga - great yoga studio in Andover
- Organic Garden Cafe - raw foods restaurant/juice bar in Beverly
- Sol Bean Cafe in Middleton (on Route 114) - just past Middleton center - wraps, smoothies, juices, soups, and more
- GreenSource - non-toxic paint and home supply store in Braintree
If You Have IBS...
- About IBS- site with general information about IBS
- All About Squatting - this may revolutionize your bowel movements!
Recommended Reading List
The Life Organizer by Jennifer Louden. I am currently sinking into the couch every day with this book. It's the one book that has really compelled me to start journaling again. Whenever I get stressed or flustered or overwhelmed or bored, I go to this book... knowing that the question I find on the page that I open to is the one that will help me find my way back to center. I leave this book on my desk at all times, becuase it's beautiful to look at, and makes me so happy!
Natural Health Solutions by Mike Adams. This book reveals some very, very eye-opening and shocking information about how the FDA and pharmaceutical companies operate. If you want to take charge of your health, you need to read this book.
Unveiling the Heart of Business by Mark Silver. If you run your own business, then this book will help you learn how to incorporate spirituality and your own heart into your business. Mark is an amazing teacher, and this book has changed the way I look at business.
Sabbath: Finding Rest, Renewal and Delight in Our Busy Lives by Wayne Muller. A great compilation of ideas for intentionally slowing down and celebrating the Sabbath, a time of rest and relaxation. Great book for anyone who feels like life has gotten too fast and chaotic, and wants to take a step outside the rat race.
Staying Health with the Seasons by Elson Haas. Explains how the seasons affect our organs, emotions, cravings, and bodies. A great reference book to help you transition from season to season in a very healthy manner.
Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler. A must-read for all women who want to learn how to appreciate their menstrual cycle. Especially helpful for women who want to learn how to track their menstrual cycles.
When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair by Geneen Roth. One of the most humorous, inspirational books I've read on how to improve your relationship with food and eating. If you want to learn how to stop mindless eating and body-bashing, then pick up a copy of this book.
Complete Vegetarian Kitchen by Lorna Sass. Good recipes, and helpful hints on how to prepare whole foods like grains, beans, etc.
Live the Life You Love by Barbara Sher. If you're looking to upgrade your life to one that makes your soul sing, the exercises in this book will help you do just that!
Nourishing Wisdom: A Mind-Body Approach to Nutrition and Well-Being by Marc David. If you've ever wondered how to examine and improve your relationship with food and eating, this book is for you!
Get the Sugar Out! by Ann Louise Gittleman. This book explains all about sugar: what it is, what it does to your body, etc. It also contains a lot of practical suggestions for how you can reduce the amount of sugar in your diet... one meal at a time.
Your Body Knows Best by Ann Marie Gittleman. This book does a great job of explaining the difference between carbs, protein, and fat. It explores how the food each of us eats should depend on different factors (ancestry, blood type, metabolism).
Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom by Dr. Christiane Northrup. A MUST-READ for all women. A great reference as you move from menstruation to motherhood to menopause... it contains information on everything "woman-related."
The Fresh Produce Guide by Dr. Richter. In-depth information on more than 300 produce varieties with full color photos for visual reference. Includes description, nutrition info, selection and storage tips, availability, preparation, and cooking tips.
Sports Nutrition Guidebook by Nancy Clark. Simple guidelines for athletes to follow when deciding what to eat before, during, and after exercise… also good suggestions for healthy eating in general.
The Energy Balance Diet by Joshua Rosenthal. Great overview on the energetics of food, the food-mood connection, and ideas for getting off the diet roller coaster. Very well-written and fun to read.
Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal by Eric Schlosser. You'll never look at fast food the same way again!